1. Education
Jamie Littlefield

Free Barnes and Noble Online Classes Now Enrolling

By May 26, 2006

Barnes and Noble University (off-site link) is now enrolling for June courses. This months featured courses include: Discover Dungeons & Dragons, From Planets to Pulsars: Astronomy Basics, End Your Addiction Now, Learn to Play Guitar, and more. Check out our list of free online classes for links to more organizations that offer no-cost learning.

Comments

May 26, 2006 at 6:44 pm
(1) distancelearn says:

Has anyone had experience with Barnes and Noble’s online courses? I’d love to hear your experiences, good or bad.

May 27, 2006 at 12:25 am
(2) Eric says:

I’m signing up for the Dungeons and Dragons course coming up. It’s actually created by Wizards of the Coast. Seems like it’s gonna be interesting…

May 27, 2006 at 12:34 am
(3) Fran says:

This sounds interesting but they really aren’t free. They are actually an excuse to sell more books – often quite a few books for a class. I don’t know the quality of the classes, but I’m doubtful.

May 27, 2006 at 12:36 am
(4) Jonathan says:

Their free writing workshops are great. A ton of people comment and have work to share. I’ve never found an online course that compares (and that’s free, of course).

May 27, 2006 at 12:45 am
(5) distancelearn says:

Fran, they don’t make you buy the books in order to take the class. You can actually pick them up at another bookstore or even the library. Obviously, their hope is that you’ll buy from them out of convenience (they are a for-profit company, after all) but where you buy or borrow is up to you.

June 6, 2006 at 1:05 pm
(6) jodi says:

B&N U has given me a MOST FRUSTRATING experience! When i signed up, the site worked just fine. The windows to “enter class” worked, and the “nick name” and password sign on icons appeared immediately on the “university” web page. So i bought the book. One comment said, You don’t HAVE to buy the book. i say: harummph of course you do if you want to succeed in the course you are motivated to take. I bought and read the book, happily anticipating the course and the week i would be off from my job to start the course. At 5:30 am on the day it was to start, i started two hours of frustration trying to log in. I never got in, nor was instant online help available. the next day i got a response with a list, a long list of actions to perform on my computer to make the course accessible. I followed directions to: tools, internet options, etc. but all my settings were ALREADY where B&N techies recommended they be. So what is the problem? Is there really NO FREE COURSE here? Has ANYONE out there accessed the “free” short story writing course that supposedly began on June 5th? I’d like to know! thanks.

June 6, 2006 at 1:07 pm
(7) jodi says:

PS to “distancelearn” the book was not available anywhere else.

June 5, 2009 at 12:24 pm
(8) Amberz says:

well i enjoyed my courses with B&N, they gave me huge knowledge on subjects like, Astronomy, Adobe etc and the info was available in my inbox which i used to scan easily and read in my free time..