1. Education

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:


was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Marine Corps Tuition Assistance

By Ron Dicker

(LifeWire) - Marine Corps Tuition Assistance Basics:

Active-duty Marine personnel can enroll in a fully funded college degree program with tuition assistance. Tuition assistance is available for colleges accredited by a U.S. Department of Education-approved agency. The tuition grant limit is capped at $250 per semester credit hour or $166 per quarter credit hour, and at $4,500 per year -- for distance learning as well. The $4,500 maximum also applies to study leading to a high school diploma. Veterans and other Marine Corps qualifiers should also investigate the G.I. Bill, income-based Pell Grants and individual scholarships made available by each school or state. Note that the cost of classes that last more than 18 weeks or self-paced study will be reimbursed after confirmation that the study was completed.

Qualifying for Marine Corps Tuition Assistance:

Those eligible for tuition assistance are active-duty Marines and reserves. Officers must agree to serve an additional two years in the Corps following a course subsidized with tuition assistance. Marines should maintain at least a 2.0 grade point average to remain eligible for aid, and would have to provide reimbursement for any failing grade that is not a result of military duty. The aid is normally reserved for associate and bachelor's degrees. Among the criteria for the G.I. Bill, Marines must have logged at least 90 days of active service after Sept. 11, 2001.

Online Colleges Approved for Army Tuition Assistance:

Capella University, Colorado Technical University, Jones International University, Saint Leo College, University of Maryland, and Western Governors University are among the online schools deemed "military friendly" by the Directory of Schools.

Applying for Marine Corps Tuition Assistance:

First-time applicants must consult with their local base's Lifelong Learning or Education office, then take a tuition assistance orientation class. Those stationed in remote sites can go to the TA orientation link on the Marine Corps Community Service website. Command approval and a written OK should be confirmed before enrollment. Marines fill out form NETPDTC 1560, available at the Marine Corps Community Services website. The forms are processed either at Camp Lejeune for Marines east of the Mississippi or Camp Pendleton for Marines west of the Mississippi. I-I Marines apply through Marforres, New Orleans. A degree plan is mandatory for those exceeding 12 units.


LifeWire, a part of The New York Times Company, provides original and syndicated online lifestyle content. Ron Dicker is a New York-based freelance writer who covered sports for The New York Times from 1996 to 2005

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.