Every year more teens choose to study through online high schools. Why ditch traditional brick-and-mortar programs for online learning? Here are the top reasons that teens and their families choose online high schools.
1. Online high schools help teens make up missed credits.
When students fall behind in traditional schools, it can be difficult to make up missed credits while keeping up with the required coursework. Flexible online high schools let teens make up courses – some teens choose to enroll online while still attending their regular high school, while others decide to move completely to the virtual realm.
2. Online high schools help teens get ahead and graduate early.
With online learning, motivated teens don’t need to be held back by classes that must take four months to complete. Instead, they can choose an online high school that allows students to finish courses as fast as they are able to complete the coursework. Many online high school graduates have earned their diplomas and moved on to college one or two years ahead of their peers.
3. Online high schools provide flexibility for teens with unusual schedules.Young people involved in consuming activities such as professional acting or sports often have to miss classes for work-related events. Instead of constantly struggling to catch up with their peers, these talented teens can complete online high school courses during their down time (which may be later in the evening instead of in the middle of the day).
4. Online high schools help struggling teens get away from negative peer groups.Troubled teens may want to make a change but find it difficult while surrounded by former friends. By learning online, teens are able to get away from seeing the same people every day and make new friends based on shared interests rather than shared locations.
5. Online high schools let teens work at their own pace.By choosing a flexible online high school, teens can speed ahead when they feel confident and take longer when they are dealing with subjects they find confusing. Instead of struggling to keep up or sitting bored waiting for the class, teens can progress through coursework at a pace that accommodates their strengths and weaknesses.
6. Online high schools allow teens to focus on their academics & avoid distraction.Some students simply lose focus of their education when surrounded by the distractions that school can bring. Online high schools help students focus on academics and save socializing for their off hours. Sometimes students study online for a semester or two to get back on track before re-enrolling in a traditional high school.
7. Online high schools let teens esape bullying.Bullying is a serious problem in traditional schools. When school officials and other parents turn a blind eye to a child that is being tormented on school property, some families choose to withdraw their teen from the situation by enrolling him in an online program. Online high schools can be a permanent academic home for bullied teens or they can be a temporary solution while parents find an alternative public or private school where their child is protected.
8. Online high schools let talented teens access programs not available locally.Virtual programs give students in rural or disadvantaged urban areas the ability to learn from a top-notch curriculum that may not be available locally. Elite online high schools such as Stanford’s EPGY program are competitive and have high acceptance rates from upper-tier colleges.